Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The easiness of the way

Sometimes as a Latter-Day Saint I think I have it all wrong. When I read verses like the one in Alma 37:40 I start to wonder if I am complicating matters. The verse says, 'For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss, as it was for our fathers to give heed to this compass, which would point unto them a straight course to the promised land.' I am not sure I completely understand this verse. I figure that compass represents word of God which comes in various forms: The Holy Ghost, the scriptures, the prophets, etc. It is as easy to give heed to the word of God now as it was for Lehi's family to give heed to the Liahona. Hum, I am still not getting it completely. In 1 Nephi 16:28 I read, 'And it came to pass that I, Nephi, beheld the pointers which were in the ball, that they did work according to the faith and diligence and heed which we did give unto them.' Faith, diligence and heed. I first must believe and cast off my doubt. Then I must be diligent. Diligence is the earnest and persistent application to an undertaking; steady effort. It's the steadfast part of the faith. 2 Nephi 31:20 says, 'Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.' I think diligence is akin to being steadfast. So what is heed? Heed is to pay attention to; listen to and consider. Since the writing on the Liahona changed from time to time, so it is today that our instructions from the various sources changes from time to time. As I receive new instruction, I need pay attention to it, listen to it and consider it.

The word 'easy' still bothers me. In verse 46 it says, 'O my son, do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; for so was it with our fathers; for so was it prepared for them, that if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever.'

Alma is either stating that the way is easy or that it is easy to get side tracked in a pursuit to living the gospel. If the way is truly easy, that would mean that once a person has a change in heart his path through life becomes significantly easier. He believes that he will be guided and directed and comforted as he travels through the vissitudes of life. He is at rest. He has burdens but they a swallowed up in Christ. Slothful means disinclined to work or exertion; lazy. Alma is exhorting his son to keep on working even though he in in the way. I think it is easy to get into the trap of enjoying the nice things of life and forgetting to get out there to do our duty. Serving isn't necesarily fun but it grows our spirits.

I hope to get to a place in my life where the living the gospel is easy. Even though it is easy, we should alway be found doing our next errand from the Lord.

No comments: