Sunday, April 18, 2010

Be Still

Is being still part of trusting in God? How does one receive direction from God without taking the time to be still? When my mind is confused and I don't know what direction to take, I chose to be still. The only other option is to continue in the confused state - and most likely, the state will get worse.

Ps. 46: 10
10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Sometimes we show a lack of faith when we take action. When the going gets rough, we discard God and take whatever action that our natural man deems necessary to resolve the situation. We justify our actions by thinking, God doesn't care about this situation and wants me to figure it out on my own. We never know what miracle would have happened if we held out faith a little longer.

Ex. 14: 13
13 ¶ And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever.

Sometimes you just have to slow down, stay calm and mellow out. The Lord will take care of the rest!

2 Chr. 20: 17
17 Ye shall not need to fight in this battle: set yourselves, stand ye still, and see the salvation of the Lord with you, O Judah and Jerusalem: fear not, nor be dismayed; to morrow go out against them: for the Lord will be with you.

The natural man says that we need to do something RIGHT NOW! When we succomb to the natural man, we don't get the see what the salvation of the Lord would have been. Wait, get your errand of the Lord and then take action.

Lamentation 3:22-26
¶ It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.
24 The Lord is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him.
25 The Lord is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him.
26 It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord.

You see, it is good to hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord! We don't have to worry and fret about things. Since there is a God, and we believe in Him, there is no need to worry. Slow down, get direction from the Lord, and then act. This is what I am practicing doing. The other way sometimes works but doesn't build one's faith. It reinforces your unbelief so that the next time your trust in God it is less.

D&C 5

34 Yea, for this cause I have said: Stop, and stand still until I command thee, and I will provide means whereby thou mayest accomplish the thing which I have commanded thee.

Is it heart rending to wait on the Lord for first time in your life! You bet. It feels like you are going to crazy. How could the Lord really help in my situation? My problem is so special that I am on my own. God helps others but doesn't help me. Will I look like a fool by standing still and waiting on the Lord? I am going to keep on trying and I get this down. I want to cast off my unbelief. I want to break the veil of unbelief!

Heb. 11: 6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
Mosiah 4: 9
9 Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.

D&C 123: 17
17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

It is my believe that God watches over me, that I can receive my errand from Him as I stand still and be believing. What is that one thing that God would have me do today?

No comments: